Thursday, January 15, 2015

From Intrinsic to Extrinsic, and Back to Intrinsic (hopefully).

It's half way through one of my classes. We've just finished having a discussion about tapping into one's interests and passions in order to drive what they learn.  Intrinsic motivation was at the heart of the discussion.  I'm feeling pretty good about it, and now we have to shift into, what feels like, an antiquated system of direct instruction. Me giving a powerpoint on Diabetes.  There's a problem.  I can't find my clicker.  I'm searching all over and after a few failed minutes I ask, "Does anyone see my clicker?"

"Can we get extra credit on our quiz if we find it?" blurts one of my students.

In desperation I say "Sure. Two points extra credit if you find my clicker."  Instantly half the class is up and moving around the room.  In a matter of minutes I find it next to the expo markers at the dry erase board.

"Do we get extra credit anyway?" says someone (I think the same student).

"No!"  Now I had to make a point.  "Don't you see, this is the exact problem.  Everyone thinks they should get rewarded for everything they do.  Not "'Oh Mr. Orre you lost your clicker, let me help you you find it' because that would be the right thing to do."  No, everyone is extrinsically motivated.  This is what we're trying to break free of.

It's amazing how much these students' motivation has changed since they were children.  My daughter is 2. Every day I watch her explore the world with such curiosity and excitement.  She loves learning. New words. New foods. New environments. Everything.   Nothing is unexciting to her.  As a teacher, I am fascinated by her intrinsic motivation to learn and I do everything I can to create an environment where that ember of excitement can grow into a full blown love for learning wildfire.

Every kid starts this way, but inevitably so many become molded to fit into a world in which extrinsic motivation rules.  Do task x and get reward y.  From chores (mow the lawn and get $) to grades (do this to get a good grade) to even Christmas (be good or Santa won't come), they're taught either implicitly or explicitly that anything worth doing should be rewarded.  The science on this is showing that extrinsic rewards really only reward the reward seeking behavior, not the the task being rewarded for.  Take away the reward, and they won't do it.  Now this isn't true 100% of the time for 100% of the kids, but as a teacher I see kids driven by extrinsic motivation, and very little intrinsic motivation.  Which is one of the many reasons I've decided to try 20 Time in my classroom.  I want my students to rekindle their intrinsic motivation and rediscover their love for learning.  I want their passions to DRIVE their learning.

On Tuesday this week I had my students choose to watch 2-3 of a variety videos (see inspiration videos page) that I hoped would inspire them a little bit more for their project.  They tended to focus on themes of time, curiosity, creativity, and really tapping into one's own intrinsic motivation to go and do great things.  I asked them to post on an online discussion board in our learning management system what video really resonated with them, how it ties with what we do in school (or don't), and any questions they had.  For homework, I required them to go and respond to two posts or replies.  This was, by the way, my first dive into online discussions as a teacher.  I could do a whole other post on online discussions.

This morning I checked out the posts briefly before school, printed and made copies of the thread, and in class gave them copies to skim over for 5-10 minutes before continuing the discussion in their groups.  In the group discussion I asked them to discuss any themes that came up, what they thought of the videos, and where they go next.  Here's a worldle of the thread:



Clearly they picked up on the themes.  What I was really pleased to read was how many said they like the idea of 20 time, and wished it (or something like it) was more common in school.  We're at a pretty academically acclaimed school and many discussed how the culture of our school and the expectations put on them (by themselves, teachers, parents, peers, climate, etc) actually stymie their creativity and make it harder to learn.  Many kind of pushed back at the status quo and expressed a desire to be allowed more autonomy.  Others realized that it was upon themselves to focus on what was important to them, and to make the most of the time they have.

I broadened it to a larger discussion and enjoyed hearing what they had to say.  One group discussed the possibility of having a 20 Time class (which would be close to 20% of their course load).  Structured properly, I think this could be a really cool idea.  In both of my classes everyone really kind of acknowledged that it's a bit of a paradigm shift to go from top down extrinsic motivated school to a more level, and intrinsically motivated, learning environment.

So here I am trying to shift a mindset back to a mindset they were born with.  Today I felt my students reconnect a little with that old mindset.  It's still in everyone one of them.  They just have to rekindle that ember and I'll fan the flames.

No comments:

Post a Comment