Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Innovation Newsletter Vol. 2- The Student Centered Classroom

One of the longest lasting  pieces of advice I received as a student teacher was by my cohort leader during my credential program.  He said:

"If you're working harder than the student. You're not doing it right."

I've interpreted this to mean different things at different points in my career.  Early on, I interpreted it to mean students should always be working.  Later, I think I took it to mean I shouldn't be spending 5 hours prepping a lab or activity that will take 30 minutes for students to complete.  More recently, and I think more accurately, I've taken it to mean everything I do in the classroom needs to be student-centered, not teacher centered.

At first you may think to yourself, hey wait: "of course my class is student centered."    But, is it?

Let's innovate by thinking how we organize our classes.  Are we the center of the classroom universe? Does all learning in the classroom funnel through us, or have we created systems and strategies whereby students are the center of the learning?

Steph and I wanted to dig a little deeper and use this newsletter to focus on several ideas of how to be both innovative and student-centered.  And it's not just about technology.

This edition of the innovation newsletter, we focus on 3 main things:

1.  Defining what innovation is, and is not.

2.  Thinking about being innovative by creating/developing a student-centered classroom via student discussion, delivering content, and checking for understanding. 

3.  Staff Member Shout Outs

You can see the newsletter below, or click on this link.  Within the infographic the red words are the hyperlinks. Click on them and you'll be taken to blog posts or videos giving further detail on the topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment