Wednesday, November 7, 2018

1CoolThing Coffee Session: Google Docs

As the full time TOSA for LGSUHSD, I'm trying to create a multifaceted, meaningful, relevant, and focused form of professional development.  There are significant constraints that I have to work within. The biggest of all is time. Teachers are VERY BUSY, and it is difficult to find time to do anything, let alone learn a new tool and implement it in a lesson.

1CoolThing is about showcasing bite size pieces of information, techniques, tools, etc. that are beneficial to them and their practice.  Because it's small or short in duration, it's more manageable and likely for them to entertain the idea, and maybe even give it a try.

The ultimate goal of 1CoolThing is to promote greater collaboration and innovation within our classes and help teachers grow and learn, just like we want our students to.

Today I tried something new.  I held a 35 minute session before school that I called "1CoolThing Coffee Session."  The focus was on Google Docs.  I picked some topics on Google Docs that were a mix of basic and advanced, and sent an email to all staff last week that I would be offering this session the following week.  I sent a Calendar invite to staff with a link that included the option to join as a Google Hangout. I included in it my 1CoolThing video on how to join a hangout this way.

This alone was an epiphany for some, as I was tied in on a colleague's email later that day that read:

"If you guys saw Kris Orre's 1CoolThing video today, it's exactly about what we're doing.  So let's try to practice and see how likely it is to use this feature in class for <  **** >, and instead of you guys coming down here, just log into the meet.... (This link is also in the calendar invite, just like Kris taught me today.)

Maybe you'll be on the road home to vote -- just pop your phone up on the car stand thing.  Let's see how this works!"


The morning of the session, I created the hangout and simultaneously recorded my session using a Swivl and my iPad.  I've now uploaded the video to my 1CoolThing YouTube Channel.  The full video is down at the bottom of this post.


Below is the link to my document. It's nothing special. Just a Google Doc with the features I was talking about. I also hyperlinked to all the 1CoolThing videos I had already created.


Overall, I'm happy with how this went. I had about half a dozen people show up in person, and 4 log in and listen via GHO.  There were lots of good questions and discussions, and I think everyone walked away with at least 1 cool thing that they could use.  I got an email later in the day that said:


"The Force Copy extension is cool!!!" 


That's basically what 1CoolThing is all about.

Next week I'll try it at all over again at Los Gatos.

Loving my job right now.



No comments:

Post a Comment